The Print and Digital Designer will work with the Associate Director for Design and Marketing to assist in executing the creative for Oklahoma Contemporary’s marketing, advertising, exhibition design and print collateral related to the organization and its various programs. The designer will also work with the Director of Communications to design and handle day-to-day management of the arts center’s email marketing campaigns.
The ideal candidate will have a strong design portfolio, communication, writing and editing skills and a background in design, communications, marketing, journalism and/or public relations. Art and/or nonprofit experience a plus. Team player a must.
Essential Job Functions
- Work with the Associate Director for Design and Marketing in creating pieces to promote, market and advertise Oklahoma Contemporary, its current and future programs and special events.
- Develop graphics and visuals, across a wide variety of platforms and vendors, which are used to grow awareness for and drive traffic to Oklahoma Contemporary exhibitions, public programs and educational efforts, both free and ticket- or tuition-based, in person and digital.
- Draft, revise and design Oklahoma Contemporary’s print and digital materials, including advertising, email campaigns, billboards, collateral, presentations, promotions and signage for individual departments.
- Work with Communications staff and various departments and programs to create successful marketing campaigns.
- Assist in growing the visual look and feel of branded events, programs and promotions, including logos as needed, and ensure consistent messaging and image, both visually and verbally, across print and online platforms.
- Work with in-house departments and vendors to complete advertising and print jobs.
- With the Director of Communications, design and manage Oklahoma Contemporary’s email marketing, including monthly newsletters, promotions for individual programs or special events, development efforts, know-before-you-go emails and more.
- Ensure email campaigns are friendly across platforms, including mobile. Write alt-text for images and create text-only versions of each campaign.
- Maintain an email marketing calendar, including regularly scheduled blasts plus campaigns for events and programs, working with all departments to create relevant content.
- Research, understand and implement email marketing trends and advances. Ensure emails follow industry policies and best practices.
- Proofread emails for grammar, clarity, consistency and brand voice.
- Use graphics, personalization and advanced features to achieve better email ROI.
- Manage and grow Oklahoma Contemporary’s email subscribers. Work toward more targeted campaigns.
- Work with all departments on their email needs.
- Track email analytics and create reports. Analyze campaign performance and suggest improvements.
- Assist in various Communications and outreach projects and activities and other duties as assigned, including staffing Oklahoma Contemporary events.
Essential Job Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred but not required.
- Minimum of three years’ design experience.
- Strong graphic design portfolio, including brand and original design.
- Deep familiarity with trends, technologies and methodologies in graphic design, email marketing, production, etc.
- Strong project management skills and ability to multitask and prioritize multiple projects, often with shifting priorities and requiring collaboration across many departments.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience in Wordfly or other email marketing platforms.
- Experience in SketchUp is a plus.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively.
- Excellent oral and written communication, graphic design and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of how to develop impactful marketing messages across platforms.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of programs, with a strong knowledge of Powerpoint and Word.
- Interest in nonprofits and/or the arts.
- Able to clearly and precisely express complex ideas with interesting and compelling angles.
- Demonstrate curiosity, creativity, drive for excellence and attention to detail.
- Possess confidence, patience and flexibility in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Highly receptive to feedback and coaching.
- Ability to work independently with modest supervision.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis. Nothing in this job description is to be construed as a contract of employment. All job duties are subject to change as business needs necessitate.
Other Requirements and Working Conditions
Normal business hours are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. May require some night and weekend work during special events. Use of a computer/monitor, telephone and copier daily. Physical requirements: Lifting/carrying - heavy work may include routine lifting of a maximum weight of 50 lbs. Combination of sitting, standing, walking and driving on a frequent basis.
Oklahoma Contemporary is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Submit a cover letter, resume and five to seven examples of your best design work here.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Unfortunately, because of the volume of applications we receive, we are not able to give status updates.
Salary commensurate with experience ($37,000-42,000); excellent benefits package, including healthcare, dental, vision and retirement plan.
About Oklahoma Contemporary
Oklahoma Contemporary is an inclusive center for the arts where people of all ages and backgrounds can experience art, encounter new ideas and ignite their creative potential. Through visual art exhibitions, performances, public programs, community-building initiatives, outdoor installations and special events, Oklahoma Contemporary creates opportunities for everyone to come together in celebration of contemporary culture and artistic expression. With year-round classes and seasonal youth camps across multiple disciplines, the arts center’s education programs encourage youth and adults to express their ideas across a variety of media and learn new skills. Oklahoma Contemporary believes that art is for everyone and places accessibility and education at the center of all programming. Admission to exhibitions is always free. Oklahoma Contemporary is a regional 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded in 1989 by businessman and philanthropist Christian Keesee and Kirkpatrick Foundation Director Marilyn Myers.
Oklahoma Contemporary strives to demonstrate leadership by modeling excellence and best practices for inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility. We believe in the power of human creativity and value the opportunities for connection and learning that exist when cultures and communities come together in collaboration and understanding.
We commit to championing policies and practices that value diversity, foster cultural equity and create an accessible and inclusive environment. Oklahoma Contemporary does not discriminate based on race/ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, socioeconomic status, geography, citizenship status or religion. We recognize our strengths lie in the broad range of people who contribute their time and talents to our mission and are dedicated to creating a safe, inclusive place for them to explore creativity.