Lead and develop — and oversee the team that implements — all communications, media, social and marketing strategies and brand messaging to grow the reputation, visibility and impact of Oklahoma Contemporary. Turn high-level brand concepts into concrete messaging strategies. Cultivate and enhance relationships with media and key influencers and drive earned media. Deliver strategic communication, PR, media and marketing advice to leadership and other stakeholders. Identify challenges and issues that could impact brand perception and value. Work with leadership to plan development, programming and marketing efforts for new campus and programs. Analyze, understand and communicate audience needs. Guide editorial and visual direction and ensure consistency of all print and online marketing and communications, including social platforms. Manage Communications staff as well as coach and mentor employees throughout organization. Prepare and oversee budgets totaling $650,000.
Essential Job Functions
- Direct and manage all aspects of Oklahoma Contemporary’s outward-facing messaging and brand, visually and verbally, across a wide variety of print and digital platforms.
- Proactively identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization, both internally and externally, that could potentially impact brand perception and value. Provide expertise and assistance in breaking news and/or crisis management and messaging.
- Actively engage, cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with strategic, high-impact external audiences, including local, regional and national media and key influencers, to ensure strong, positive exposure. Draft press releases and make regular, personalized pitches to print, online and broadcast media. Serve as Oklahoma Contemporary’s media contact and spokesperson, including daily response and promotion to news media and public inquiries.
- Research, hire and work with local and national vendors and consultants to shape Oklahoma Contemporary’s national communications campaigns, allocate our marketing budget and acquire deep regional and specific national media coverage.
- Plan, create and oversee comprehensive communications and marketing strategies to enhance reputation, broaden awareness and increase the visibility of education, exhibition and development initiatives and programs.
- Create vision for, guide editorial direction and manage creation and/or production of all print, digital and social campaigns and collateral, including the visual identity and feel of branded events, exhibitions, programs and promotions, and ensure consistent messaging and image, both visually and verbally, across print and online platforms.
- Grow and engage digital audience by creating or directing the creation of engaging, brand-oriented, original text, photo and video content for social platforms. Shepherd day-to-day social engagement and participate as the brand in conversations across Oklahoma City, the arts and arts education industries and the nonprofit field.
- Work with Associate Director for Marketing and Design to develop all marketing strategies and tactics, across a wide variety of platforms and vendors, to grow awareness for and drive traffic to Oklahoma Contemporary exhibitions, public programs and educational efforts, both free and ticket- or tuition-based, in person and digital.
- Conduct detailed audience analyses so organization and departments can better understand, program for and market to individual segments.
- Track, measure and communicate the effectiveness and ROI of specific communication and marketing strategies. Respond to data by rolling out new tactics and strategies. Analyze social engagement data, identify trends and plan digital campaigns to build community online. Help social coordinator create actionable plans to both grow and maintain followers.
- Research and understand exhibiting artists and work across departments to ensure didactics link exhibition and education efforts.
- Develop and monitor production calendars, annual budgets and vendor relationships for communication needs across all departments.
- Prioritize media opportunities and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed. Track and archive all media coverage.
- Work with leadership to develop or grow the impact of creative programs and projects.
- Identify and implement best practices and/or review efforts as each department creates print and online content related to fundraising, exhibition, special events and programming. Recommend edits that improve the quality of the copy, the meaning of the message and reflect our overall brand voice and tone.
- Research, write and/or edit copy for the web, blog, email marketing, editorial media, fundraising, advertising, social and print publications for wide-ranging audiences, using the right voice for each audience and media type.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Qualifications include a minimum BA or BS in a field related to communications, public relations, journalism or marketing.
- Seven to 10 years leadership experience in communications, public relations, journalism or marketing, with demonstrated success at a for-profit or not-for-profit entity. Experience with or understanding of visual and/or performing arts is a plus.
- Experience with pitching stories to and receiving significant coverage from local, regional and national media.
- Commitment to Oklahoma Contemporary’s mission to encourage artistic expression in all its forms through education, exhibitions and performance.
- Creative, strategic thinker who demonstrates excellent writing, editing, verbal and visual communication skills.
- High level of proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite; Craft, Concrete, Wordpress or other CMS; Microsoft Office; email marketing software; and project management platforms such as Asana.
- Strong team management and mentorship abilities, with attentiveness to collaboration with staff, stakeholders and vendors.
- High degree of diplomacy and superior interpersonal skills.
- Ease juggling multiple projects, working on tight deadlines and the ability to manage flexibly in a fast-paced, dynamic organization required.
- Proven experience identifying target audiences and creating successful communications and marketing campaigns across a variety of digital and print platforms.
- Numerically literate, comfortable working with numbers, making sense of metrics and processing figures with spreadsheets. Detailed experience in creating and managing a budget. Nonprofit experience a plus.
- Intimate understanding of traditional and emerging communications, social marketing and advertising platforms.
- Deep familiarity with trends, technologies and methodologies in graphic and web design, social media, earned media, production, audience building, etc.
- Experience with strategic planning, including assessment processes and data analysis.
- Proficiency in Google Analytics, Hootsuite or other social or digital monitoring platforms.
- Fluency in Spanish or Vietnamese is a plus.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
Other requirements and working conditions
- Use of a car required; legally registered and insured for daily use
- Use of a computer/monitor, telephone and copier daily
- Flexible schedule with ability to participate in evening or weekend events
- Team environment with frequent group meeting participation
- Physical requirements: Lifting/Carrying - heavy work may include routine lifting of a maximum weight of 50 lbs. - combination of sitting, standing, walking and driving on a frequent basis
- Oklahoma Contemporary is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Submit a cover letter and resume here.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Unfortunately, because of the volume of applications we receive, we are not able to give status updates. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary commensurate with experience ($80,000 - $85,000); excellent benefits package, including healthcare, dental, vision and retirement plan.
Oklahoma Contemporary strives to demonstrate leadership by modeling excellence and best practices for inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility. We believe in the power of human creativity and value the opportunities for connection and learning that exist when cultures and communities come together in collaboration and understanding.
We commit to championing policies and practices that value diversity, foster cultural equity and create an accessible and inclusive environment. Oklahoma Contemporary does not discriminate based on race/ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, socioeconomic status, geography, citizenship status or religion. We recognize our strengths lie in the broad range of people who contribute their time and talents to our mission and are dedicated to creating a safe, inclusive place for them to explore creativity.
About Oklahoma Contemporary
Oklahoma Contemporary is an inclusive center for the arts where people of all ages and backgrounds can experience art, encounter new ideas and ignite their creative potential. Through visual art exhibitions, performances, public programs, community-building initiatives, outdoor installations and special events, Oklahoma Contemporary creates opportunities for everyone to come together in celebration of contemporary culture and artistic expression. With year-round classes and seasonal youth camps across multiple disciplines, the arts center’s education programs encourage youth and adults to express their ideas across a variety of media and learn new skills. Oklahoma Contemporary believes that art is for everyone and places accessibility and education at the center of all programming. Admission to exhibitions is always free. Oklahoma Contemporary is a regional 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded in 1989 by businessman and philanthropist Christian Keesee and Kirkpatrick Foundation Director Marilyn Myers.
About Oklahoma City
In the middle of its third decade of economic and cultural expansion, Oklahoma City is a surprisingly lively and diverse American city. Recent growth has spurred exciting developments in the city’s recreation and nightlife, with the construction of new parks, a streetcar system, bike trails, shops, restaurants, breweries and bars. The construction of Oklahoma Contemporary’s new building in the urban core, opening in March 2020, represents a significant commitment on the part of the city and its inhabitants to a new era in contemporary culture.