The House/Box Office Manager (HBOM) reports to the Director of Operations and is responsible for the smooth and welcoming operation of the audience-focused aspects of the theatrical, performing arts and special-event activities in and on the grounds of Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center (Center). The HBOM supports the organizational, programmatic and patron needs of a diverse, year-round arts center, with primary responsibility for the Te Ata Theatre, the Dance Studio and the Performing Arts Lobby. The HBOM works closely with the Artistic Director, the Technical and Production Manager and the Events Manager to collaboratively assist in coordinating all facets of the Center’s performance and events activities to advance the mission of the Center. The HBOM works closely with Development staff to assist in the logistical needs of internal fundraising and patron events. The position requires a positive, strategic, collaborative and proactive communicator who is a strong and innovative thinker, especially with regard to all Center department staff, outside groups and event space lessors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: House Management
- Maintain a welcoming and safe environment for visitors, audience members and guests in the performance and event spaces.
- Coordinate with the Technical and Production Manager on the opening times of performance spaces to the audience.
- Ensure that ushers and ticket takers are sufficiently trained on performance and security details.
- Ensure that all public spaces, including restrooms and lobby and bar areas, are clean and well stocked before, during and after performances and events.
- With Technical and Production Manager, ensure that all performance and event areas are clean, vacated and secure following events.
- Ensure safety of the audience in cases of emergency, safely evacuating spaces, if necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Box Office
- Work with internal and external users to set up events, seating manifests and financial procedures and manage the preparation, presentation and settlement of all box office statements.
- Work with Database Manager to advise and assist with the implementation, reporting and generating of event reports using the Tessitura system.
- Reconcile any issues and financial discrepancies between ticket sales and the Finance Department.
- Work closely with the Finance Department on executing proper cash handling and payment control procedures.
- Resolve patron-related ticket issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Events
- Coordinate with Development and Events teams to create and maintain up-to-date event calendars and plans.
- Coordinate with Development and Events teams to ensure smooth planning and execution of internal and external events, with specific attention toward the positive experience of visitors, guests and patrons.
- Attend event planning meetings, as appropriate and needed.
- With Production and Technical Manager and/or Events Manager, ensure timely and accurate set-up of event and house spaces. Ensure timely restore to standard set-ups.
- With Events Manager and Production and Technical Manager, troubleshoot for potential conflicts for space use and set-up needs.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Three years’ experience in front of house, box office, event and/or entertainment management or related field.
- A desire to provide exceptional patron service and experience in a wide variety of events and performances.
- Ability to work well independently and to manage, train and motivate others.
- Ability to think critically, creatively and to resolve problems.
- Tactful communication under stress.
- Familiarity with Tessitura patron system a plus.
- Ability to work with multiple organizations and vendors proactively and professionally.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis. Nothing in this job description is to be construed as a contract of employment. All job duties are subject to change as business needs necessitate.
Other requirements and working conditions
- Use of a car required; legally registered and insured for daily use
- Use of a computer/monitor, telephone and copier daily
- Flexible schedule with ability to participate in evening and weekend events
- Team environment with frequent group meeting participation
- Physical requirements: Lifting/Carrying - heavy work may include routine lifting of a maximum weight of 50 lbs. - combination of sitting, standing, walking and driving on a frequent basis
Oklahoma Contemporary is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Submit both a cover letter and resume here to apply.