Under the supervision of the Visitor Experience Manager, the Retail Coordinator will be expected to play a key role on institutional growth through earned income generated by Shop Contemporary. This position will work with a third-party buyer for the store and will assist in purchasing products as well as manage inventory, design effective merchandise layout in the storefront and deliver a strong visitor experience in support of Oklahoma Contemporary’s mission through radical hospitality and building and managing an efficient and effective team.
Essential Job Functions
- Actively drive sales and encourage a target-orientated culture amongst the
Visitor Experience and Retail teams.
- Actively promote Oklahoma Contemporary’s goods, services and facilities, including promoting and maximizing sales for merchandise, special events and learning activities.
- Manage the visual merchandising of all commercial areas. Give clear direction to Retail staff on standards and expectations. Create visually appealing and commercially driven retail displays.
- Be responsible for the security of the Retail monies and stock, ensuring that Oklahoma Contemporary’s financial, cash handling and banking procedures are strictly adhered to, in accordance with audit and security requirements and good practice.
- Assist in managing all processing of orders within the retail space, invoices and goods received and organize regular stock takes, stock and sale analysis and stock control.
- Lead by example (i.e. working on cash drawers, merchandising displays, stocking shelves).
- Analyze sales performance to develop own knowledge and drive commercial return. Produce weekly written and verbal reports to the Director of Operations Director and Executive Director.
- Assist in leading on direction of product development and buying curation for both core range and program-led merchandise options.
- Use strong negotiation skills to ensure that all product expenditures are within budget.
- Assist Visitor Experience Manager in the day-to-day management of the Retail and Visitor Experience personnel. The Visitor Experience and Retail team are interchangeable, working across all front-of-house spaces within Oklahoma Contemporary.
- Assist in managing any third-party contracted retail work, such as graphic designers and illustrators for product purposes.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree with coursework in merchandizing or business preferred. Two years of related customer service and/or sales experience.
- Strong computer skills and comfort with technology; knowledge of Shopify system is highly desirable.
- Flexible schedule that allows for the occasional weekend and evening hours working as required.
- Ability to track and analyze sales.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, colleagues and members of the public.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of programs, with a strong knowledge of Excel and Word.
- Strong written, verbal, analytical, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple projects, often with shifting priorities.
- Ability to work independently with modest supervision.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
Other requirements and working conditions
- Use of a car required; legally registered and insured for daily use
- Use of a computer/monitor, telephone and copier daily
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends when required and agreed upon
- Team environment with frequent group meeting participation
- Physical requirements: Lifting/Carrying - heavy work may include routine lifting of a maximum weight of 50 lbs. Combination of sitting, standing, walking and driving on a frequent basis
Oklahoma Contemporary is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter here.
About Oklahoma Contemporary
Oklahoma Contemporary is an inclusive center for the arts where people of all ages and backgrounds can experience art, encounter new ideas and ignite their creative potential. Through visual art exhibitions, performances, public programs, community-building initiatives, outdoor installations and special events, Oklahoma Contemporary creates opportunities for everyone to come together in celebration of contemporary culture and artistic expression. With year-round classes and seasonal youth camps across multiple disciplines, the arts center’s education programs encourage youth and adults to express their ideas across a variety of media and learn new skills. Oklahoma Contemporary believes that art is for everyone and places accessibility and education at the center of all programming. Admission to exhibitions is always free. Oklahoma Contemporary is a regional 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded in 1989 by businessman and philanthropist Christian Keesee and Kirkpatrick Foundation Director Marilyn Myers.
Oklahoma Contemporary strives to demonstrate leadership by modeling excellence and best practices for inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility. We believe in the power of human creativity and value the opportunities for connection and learning that exist when cultures and communities come together in collaboration and understanding.
We commit to championing policies and practices that value diversity, foster cultural equity and create an accessible and inclusive environment. Oklahoma Contemporary does not discriminate based on race/ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, socioeconomic status, geography, citizenship status or religion. We recognize our strengths lie in the broad range of people who contribute their time and talents to our mission and are dedicated to creating a safe, inclusive place for them to explore creativity.