The Technical and Production Manager reports to the Director of Operations and is responsible for coordinating the theatrical, performing arts and occasional technical needs of special events in and on the grounds of Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center. The Technical and Production Manager supports the organizational, programmatic, and technical needs of a diverse, year-round arts center, with specific responsibility for the Te Ata Theatre and the dance studio. The Technical and Production Manager works closely with the Artistic Director, the House/Box Office Manager and the Events Manager to collaboratively assist in coordinating all facets of Oklahoma Contemporary’s performance and events activities to advance the center’s mission. The position requires a positive, strategic, collaborative and proactive communicator who is a strong and innovative thinker, especially with regard to all Oklahoma Contemporary staff, outside groups and event space lessors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Advance all applicable Oklahoma Contemporary events and correspond with appropriate personnel and external sources to effectively plan for and to answer questions regarding the facility and technical specifications.
- Verify all event arrangements and requirements provided by internal and external sources for use of center’s required production equipment. Determine allowability in the center of any equipment not owned by Oklahoma Contemporary and coordinate with outside vendors for any rentals, delivery, set-up and use.
- Working with Events Manager and other appropriate Oklahoma Contemporary staff, set production times (load in/ load out, rehearsal, performance, clean-up, etc.) and establish sufficient crew requirements.
- Prepare advance cost estimates for internal and external users for any additional labor and equipment and work to adhere to budget requirements.
- Work with House/Box Office Manager to determine preparedness of spaces for access to the public.
- Develop, update and enforce policies for the performance spaces at Oklahoma Contemporary. Hire and train any part-time production staff. Based on budget, purchase equipment and materials required by Oklahoma Contemporary.
- Oversee and ensure rigorous maintenance and care for all Oklahoma Contemporary theatrical, stage and event equipment and performance spaces.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Undergraduate or higher degree in technical production, theatrical design, theater studies or related field preferred.
- Knowledge of contemporary and traditional event production and presentation techniques for theater, dance, music, opera, film and lectures.
- Working knowledge of techniques and methods of stage carpentry, lighting, sound and communications design, installation and preparation for theatrical or related performances.
- Ability to design, operate and maintain technical lighting and sound equipment and systems.
- Knowledge of electronics, stage equipment and rigging, and audio-visual media.
- Ability to oversee other Oklahoma Contemporary staff, volunteers and other non-professionals around theatrical equipment, ensuring safety and proper use of equipment and spaces.
- Knowledge of basic first aid.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis. Nothing in this job description is to be construed as a contract of employment. All job duties are subject to change as business needs necessitate.
Other Requirements and Working Conditions
- Use of a car required; legally registered and insured for daily use
- Use of a computer/monitor, telephone and copier daily
- Flexible schedule with ability to participate in evening and weekend events
- Team environment with frequent group meeting participation
- Physical requirements: Lifting/Carrying - heavy work may include routine lifting of a maximum weight of 50 lbs. - combination of sitting, standing, walking and driving on a frequent basis
Oklahoma Contemporary is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Submit both a cover letter and resume through the Indeed posting to apply.