Visitor Experience Associates create an exceptional experience for all Oklahoma Contemporary visitors through community engagement, customer service and encouraging artistic expression in all its forms. In addition, Visitor Experience Associates will be cross-trained to facilitate Oklahoma Contemporary operations across all frontline roles, including ticket/membership sales, ushering, wayfinding, general information, welcoming groups, acting as a gallery assistant, retail sales and other duties as assigned by the Visitor Experience and Retail Manager.
Essential Job Functions
Visitor Experience and Retail
- Provide information to the public regarding Oklahoma Contemporary content, programs, ticketing, membership, directions, facilities and other pertinent visitor information.
- Stay up to date on events, programs, promotions, policies and procedures in order to inform and assist visitors.
- Respond to and resolve visitor complaints and concerns, calling upon management as needed.
- Enforce safety and Oklahoma Contemporary policies in, but not limited to, exhibition spaces, including protection of the artwork.
- Use Tessitura ticketing system to issue, examine and scan visitor tickets, membership cards and other identification for admission to galleries, programs and events.
- Help to ensure the smooth operation and safety of public areas by monitoring visitor traffic flow and assisting visitors as needed. Provide instructions, assistance and guidance to visitors in the event of an emergency.
- Operate the coat check area, maintaining the security of visitors’ checked items.
- Solicit Oklahoma Contemporary membership sales onsite and assist with potential member questions.
- Maintain orderly and well-stocked workspaces. Keep all public areas stocked with brochures and promotional materials.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, adhering to dress code provided.
- Assist with events and other duties as assigned from Director of Operations and Visitor Experience and Retail Manager.
- Engage visitors entering and exiting the facilities in active observation and discussion to enhance overall experience.
- Encourage educational experiences within the galleries to create an environment that supports the mission to “encourage artistic expression in all its forms through education, exhibitions, and performance.”
- Assist and facilitate additional gallery, theater and studio programming as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned by the Retail and Visitor Experience Manager.
- High school diploma.
- Experience in front-line customer service.
- BA or equivalent work experience; studies in history, art history, museum studies, museum education or other topics related to site-specific programs preferred.
- Experience working in a museum, educational, historical or cultural setting a plus. Knowledge of and enthusiasm for art or other topics related to Oklahoma Contemporary preferred.
- Bilingual fluency, especially in Spanish, Vietnamese or ASL.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Basic cash-handling skills required.
- Proficiency with database software, particularly ticketing systems.
- Capable of speaking in front of large and small groups of visitors.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with culturally diverse audiences of various ages.
- Must be able to execute Oklahoma Contemporary policies and procedures while exercising decisiveness, good judgment and diplomacy when dealing with the public. Demonstrated ability to resolve visitor situations and problems.
- Able to work with a variety of people from various backgrounds and cultures.
- Must be able to multitask, function as part of a close-knit team and enjoy working with the public.
- Must be available to work on evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment.
- Maintain a positive, “can do” attitude is a must. Visitor Experience Associates are the face of the organization.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
Other Requirements and Working Conditions
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Extended periods of standing required for gallery duties.
- Desk duties entail extended periods of work at a computer workstation.
- Visual acuity is required for viewing computer monitor, examining tickets and receipts, handling payment transactions and monitoring artwork.
- Use of phone and operation of standard office equipment, e.g., computers, copiers, etc., required.
- Occasional stooping, kneeling, bending, squatting/crouching, pushing/pulling and reaching above the shoulders and lifting of up to 50 lbs. Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as boxes, will be required.
- Day-to-day moderate noise in open setting; occasional exposure to loud music at special events.
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends when required and agreed upon.
- Team environment with frequent group meeting participation
Submit both a resume and a cover letter here to apply.
Oklahoma Contemporary is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Oklahoma Contemporary strives to demonstrate leadership by modeling excellence and best practices for inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility. We believe in the power of human creativity and value the opportunities for connection and learning that exist when cultures and communities come together in collaboration and understanding.
We commit to championing policies and practices that value diversity, foster cultural equity and create an accessible and inclusive environment. Oklahoma Contemporary does not discriminate based on race/ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, socioeconomic status, geography, citizenship status or religion. We recognize our strengths lie in the broad range of people who contribute their time and talents to our mission and are dedicated to creating a safe, inclusive place for them to explore creativity.