Danny Joe Rose III on the sounds of the studio
By Danny Joe Rose III, Studio-in-Place artist
Music plays a big role in my studio practice. It's the first thing I set up when entering my workspace. I enjoy a variety of genres, but typically I listen to instrumental and ambient music while painting or designing. I enjoy getting really lost in waves of sound and seeing how sound can influence my decisions. In many ways, what’s being played while I work becomes the soundtrack to the places within my art. Below is a Spotify playlist featuring songs I'm currently listening to in the studio. I hope these pieces can help you get into your creative flow.
1. Roberto Musci - "Tower of Silence" (from Tower of Silence)
2. Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders - "Journey in Satchidananda" (from Journey in Satchidananda)
3. Aphex Twin - "#3" (from Selected Ambient Works Volume II)
4. Susumu Yokota - "Kodomotachi" (from Sakura)
5. Young Marco - "Sacred Space" (from Bahasa)
6. Brian Eno - "Fickle Sun (i)" (from The Ship)
7. Chinmaya Dunster - "Meeting of Two Oceans" (from Ragas Relax)
8. Rocks and Waves Song Circle - "I" (from Songs I-V)
Editor's note: Purposeful Playlists is a new series from New Light, bringing you the sounds inspiring Oklahoma Contemporary staff, artists and others in our community.
Danny Joe Rose III is an artist and educator living in Oklahoma City, best known for his shapeshifting paintings and minimalist collages. His work is inspired by colors and forms found in nature, specifically landscapes and memories from his travels.
He holds a BFA from the Art Institute of Dallas, and his work has been included in both national and international group exhibitions. Danny has had solo exhibitions at Jen Mauldin Gallery, Artspace at Untitled, The Charles W Eisemann Center for Performing Arts, Galleri Urbane and others. Danny has been a visiting educator at Oklahoma City University, Chandra Kumala International School and Art Class Dallas, and he will soon join the Oklahoma Contemporary as a Studio School instructor. He has been an Artist-In-Residence at Artspace at Untitled, the Guapamacátaro Center for Art and Ecology, the Moon Mansion Dallas, the Paseo Plunge and Oklahoma City University. Danny is represented by Objets Trouvé gallery in Oklahoma City.
Return to New Light.